Kinetic Cards

Is a kinetic card is one that requires you to move something? Well, I found other references to kinetic cards, and this one seems to fall into that category.

I made this kinetic card for a challenge on paperthreads.com. I enjoy doing the challenges and swaps, since it makes me focus on a project, rather than mess around with my supplies all day (or stare into space), but for the paperthreads challenges, one must use a cutter file purchased from one of the paperthreads designers. I'm not even enthusiastic about using patterned paper that someone else designed, so it is very hard for me to use someone else's cut files. I like to do-it-myself, and Illustrator makes it pretty easy to create cut files. Anyway, I decided to do it this time, but I don't think I'll do any more. I think it's just that I would like to retain ownership over the work I produce.

The file I picked was very nice. It is Quilt Notes from Just Laury. I it included the quilt squares like light yellow one on top. It also had an envelope with a nicely curved opening and a quilt motif.  I incorporated the curved opening with its motif in the top of my slider, and used Laury's squares in my design.

I liked this tutorial on Splitcoaststampers: http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/tutorials/acetate_card/ and wanted to design a kenetic card in which removing one acetate page would reveal a message. I didn't end up using acetate in the first one, but I did in the second (which I will finish and post tomorrow). I do have holes in my slider, through which you can see background.

Here it is, open and closed. Yes, you cannot slide the slider all the way out.

The cardstock is solid colored, but I colored on it with my Copic markers to add texture. I think I'll fish a quilt block out of the wiki of such things, and make one of these with a design of my own.

Comments

  1. You did a great job with the card. Miss you over at paperthreads. Hope all is well

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment